In volume 2, number 1, of reCollections: Journal of the National Museum of Australia:
- Carol Freeman looks at the reception in Europe of the first published image of the thylacine
- Anne-Marie Condé traces the history and use of three important First World War archival records held by the Australian War Memorial
- Sara Maroske explores Ferdinand von Mueller's efforts to disseminate botanical knowledge in early Victoria
- Angela Philp discusses the relationships of the Australian National Gallery and the National Museum of Australia with Aboriginal art, and
- Kylie Message reviews several recent museum studies anthologies to see whether they respond to key issues facing museums today.
In addition, this number features reviews of several recent books and exhibitions and concludes with a meditation by Tom Griffiths and Vincent Carruthers on Maropeng, the visitors' centre at the 'Cradle of Mankind', the new World Heritage Site near Johannesburg, South Africa.